Monday, April 25, 2016

Music for a rainy day

I'm writing this blog post at my desk in the newspaper lab. The outside is drenched, and is getting a well-deserved break from the downpour. Not a single soul save for me is present in the room, leaving me alone to my thoughts. As my mind wanders, I always think of how calm and beautiful rainy days like these are. Looking out at the gloomy sky, I feel that hot chocolate and a book would do to compliment the kind of day I'm having. However, I brought no hot chocolate or book so I have to comply with music. There is so much music I have found through Spotify that I had to spend hours sorting through different music types and grouping them, while discovering new songs to add to the categories. I have, as luck would have it, songs for a rainy day:

Image result for bruno mars it will rain

1. It Will Rain by: Bruno Mars

If you're feeling a little down and the rain is just adding to that gloomy feeling, this song will help you perk up. Bruno Mars tells an almost-real story of a love that is both broken and fractured, but they try to make it work as the thought of the loss of their loved one would shatter their worlds. This song does not tell a story about mending a broken relationship, but a survival of one where both people are meant for each other.

Image result for sam smith lay me down

2. Lay Me Down by: Sam Smith feat. John Legend

This song from Sam Smith's smash album In the Lonely Hour is one that I would listen to over and over. The sweet and smooth vocals from Sam Smith and John Legend brings this song together. Just sitting there while the raindrops slide down the window and listening to the melody of Lay Me Down would put you in a state of peace and comfort. This is a song I would have in my favorites list for a rainy day.
Image result for vance joy riptide

3. Riptide by: Vance Joy

Riptide's  lighthearted mood makes you want to go out and dance in the rain. The fun tune coupled with the ukulele will get you tapping your feet to the tune and your body moving to the energetic mood of Vance Joy. It is difficult to decipher what the lyrics really mean, but they are still fun to sing along to during a gloomy day.

Rainy days are perfect to just sit there and contemplate. It also helps when music walks with your wandering mind. Music is a versatile tool for healing, comfort, and to just have fun. It helps elevate our emotions, and the variety of music out in the world today caters to a larger audience. Rainy days aren't typically the best days, as they usually bring about a gloomy mood. But music can change that. It can turn a gloomy day into one where there is sunshine even amongst the darkness.

Links to the Songs:
It Will Rain
Lay Me Down
Riptide

Credits:
ithinkyoulikethissong.tumblr.com
wikipedia.org

1 comment: